Thursday, April 9, 2015

Why buy when you can borrow?

I still remember learning the Dewey Decimal System in elementary school.  I started my research papers with a trip to the card catalog.  Like me, your local library has grown up a lot over the past few decades.  My family relies on the local library system for free entertainment.  In honor of National Library Week, April 12-18, 2015, I give you five little reasons to love your library.

1)      Maximize your access to the library system’s reach through its online catalog.  I can search for items I want to borrow and place them on hold.  When they become available in a few days or weeks they will ship to my local branch for pickup.  My choices are not limited to what I see on the shelves on any given day.
2)      Say goodbye to Redbox.  My library has new movies just after their release.  This is no different than waiting for something to come to Redbox.  It’s free and you can keep it for a week.  I can drop off what I borrowed at any branch in the city.
3)      Catch up on your favorite television series.  A rainy weekend calls for a TV marathon.   I am amazed at the variety of TV series box sets I can borrow from the library.  My kids like to bring home Pokémon and Scooby-Doo episodes for a treat.
4)      Name that tune.  I have a long commute, and I hate commercials on the radio.  My solution?  Check out CDs from the library.  I may be stuck in traffic, but I can pass the time pretending to be the next American Idol.
5)      Learn a new skill.   I dropped in for a social media marketing class.  My kids participated in a spring break spelling bee.  There is always something scheduled in the community room. 


If you haven’t been to the library recently, you will love all the fun and free things it has to offer.  It’s come a long way since the last time you toiled away on a bibliography.  Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment