Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Best baby ever

I knew all last week that I would have to do extra work work on Saturday.  No, that’s not a typo.  You know about work work – that stuff you get paid to do during most of your waking hours.  Not to be confused with house work, family work, volunteer work, or whatever other responsibilities you squeeze into those few hours before bed.  I assumed that I might get an hour’s worth done during the day and then a little more during the nighttime playoff game.  Baby Mac woke up around 7 am and by 10 was getting awfully snuggly, which is a little unusual for this busybody.  I put her in her crib at 10:30 and walked away, not hearing a peep.  I immediately got on the computer and started checking off the to-do list.  After a couple of hours there was a brief intermission to pull teeth….I mean get Hank to do some homework (oh yeah, that's another kind of work for me).  At the three hour mark Christopher called and was surprised to hear that Mackenzie was still asleep.  I kept working until I reached a good stopping point at the end of four hours.  Then came a late lunch, a little exercise, and the realization that a good mother probably would have checked the baby’s breathing well before four hours and forty-five minutes had passed.  With visions of how to get myself, three children, and an unresponsive baby to the ER dancing through my head, I tiptoed into her room and watched for movement.  Mac rolled over, smiled, yawned, and said Mama.  So, should I ever get a little bonus for my hard work work, I will treat Miss Mac to a few of her favorite things for being such a good baby.  Here are my ideas so far: 1) toilet paper to unroll; 2) socks to pull off and hide in strange places; 3) pencil erasers to chew; 4) Cheerios; and 5) travel size bottles of shampoo to try to unscrew.

No comments:

Post a Comment