Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Easy as pie...I mean bread

I came across this bread recipe with the outrageous and somewhat grammatically challenged claim of being the "best easiest" bread to make.

http://www.alexandracooks.com/2012/11/07/my-mothers-peasant-bread-the-best-easiest-bread-you-will-ever-make/

I had my doubts.  After all, I took Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman, at her word when she told me her orange chicken would be just like Panda Express.  (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2014/09/orange-chicken/) It was not.

So, with all the ingredients on hand for once, having recently discovered the bulk yeast bin at WinCo, I set out to make the "best easiest" bread.  It involves no kneading, it bakes in a bowl, and it rises twice.  Unfortunately somewhere between the no kneading and the second rise, I had to go deal with some car difficulties and put a bunch of kids to bed.  I realized that unless I wanted to wait until midnight for my beast easiest bread, I was going to have to pause this process.  I stuck the bowl in the fridge last night and hoped I didn't just waste four cups of flour.

This morning I took the bowl out and split the dough into two halves.  I put one half in a greased Corningware dish as I wasn't sure my mixing bowls would be ovenproof.  Over the course of about 30 minutes it did rise again, so I picked up where I left off in Alexandra's instructions and baked the bread accordingly.  I gotta say, it is awfully good, and definitely easy and forgiving of my haphazard baking abilities.  It's a keeper!


No comments:

Post a Comment