Sunday, October 12, 2014

Fair Food

Howdy folks!  I know it's not Wednesday, but by writing this on Sunday we can count it as either late for last week or early for this week.  Six of one half dozen of the other.  My excuse for being tardy is that I wanted to go all food bloggy and share my reviews of the State Fair of Texas fried food finalists (the Big Tex Choice Awards), and we went to the fair on Friday since that was Fair Day.  Yes, folks, in Texas there is such a thing as Fair Day, a public school holiday designed to peer pressure otherwise reasonably financially responsible families into dumping hundreds of dollars on carnival rides and games.  This concept still baffles this Virginia girl even after ten years in the Lone Star State.

Anywho, since the carnies kind of scare me, we like to treat Fair Day as an opportunity for a tasting menu of fried yumminess.  However, there was not much yumminess to be found this year.  Granted, we could only try a few items due to the fact that we had three kids tall enough to ride contraptions that cost five bucks per person, but what we tried was underwhelming.  First up was the Fried Gulf Shrimp Boil.  This tasted ok, but leaving the tails on meant that the eater had to dig them out of the shrimp ball.  Presentation fail.

Second was the Twisted Texas Taco.  I had to come home and look up what kind of meat it was that I consumed.  'Nuff said.  Lastly we got the Fried Sriracha Balls and Chicken Fried Loaded Baked Potato.  There wasn't much difference in flavor.  Both reminded me of baby food dipped in hot sauce. 

It may just be that I am directionally challenged, but I really struggle to find the Big Tex Choice finalists at the fair.  I spend so much time crisscrossing the fairgrounds with the little map turned upside down trying to find the right stands that by the time I get there I am expecting something along the lines of the French Laundry to compensate for my efforts.  If I ever get to run the fair, I would put all the winners in one building in a line to make it easier for foodies like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment